Fresh Ideas for Advertising Dissertation Topics
Working on your dissertation may be hard, but advertising is a very interesting subject to study. You learn more about products and companies, people and their needs, selling techniques, and marketing. Though advertising is an age-old activity, one can pick from numerous fresh ideas for a dissertation topic. The categories below will inspire you and help you come up with a great research topic.
History of Advertising
Nothing in this world lasts forever. People shift their habits and learn new things, and therefore the advertising traditions develop as well. The advertisements that were popular thirty years ago are quite different form modern examples. It is interesting to find out:
- Why have the marketing strategies changed?
- What influences marketing effectiveness today?
- How did cultural evolution contribute to the evolution of advertising?
- Why do political changes affect advertising techniques?
You might also consider possibly conducting your research on an outstanding professional in the field. Pick an interesting person, e.g. a marketing manager in a big company, and learn his or her strategies and models of work. Prepare a comprehensive analysis and come up with a list of recommendations towards making advertising more effective and less expensive.
Art in Advertising
Advertising is designed to attract people’s attentions. Therefore, it is not surprising that professionals often use art in marketing activities, and some advertisements become art pieces on their own. The dissertation topics may be devoted to a wide range of topics, such as:
- Mass media and art.
- What is considered as a piece of art, and how can it influence people’s minds?
- How are paintings and sculptures used in advertising?
- What is the most successful art in advertising?
- What is the role of celebrities in an advertising strategy of a particular company?
The Role of the Internet
Today, you can hardly name a company that does not use the Internet as a powerful advertising tool. Hundreds of successful advertising campaigns are launched online. Millions of websites show their visitors banners and advertising links; there is a good reason for this. Online advertising helps reach millions of prospective customers, and it does not cost a fortune. Narrow research topics might include the following:
- How do Web advertising demands change?
- Why don’t customers treat online advertising with distrust?
- What skills are necessary to have if you are an advertising professional in the digital era?
- Why is online advertising less effective in Arabic countries?
- How do people respond to different kinds of online marketing?
A Selection Of Good Thesis Topics For Advertising: 20 Unique Ideas
Writing about advertising is never the easiest thing to do. In order to get a good grade in this subject, students need to create an entirely unique, interesting topic. To get the ideas started, the following adverting thesis topics can help. Students can use these thesis topics the way they were written or modify them for an entirely new topic.
- To get women to smoke, advertisers had feminist protesters carry them in marches and called them “torches of freedom”. How successful was this advertising campaign?
- What is the relationship between physical beauty and advertising?
- When did celebrities and sports stars first become the voice of a product? What caused this to develop?
- How has photoshopping images caused advertisers to come under fire from the general public?
- How has advertising differed during different time periods?
- How was subliminal messaging used in 1950s Coca-Cola products? Was it effective?
- In what ways have advertisers used feelings of patriotism to inspire a purchase and customer loyalty?
- What are some of the emotional effects of advertising? Are people happier if they see more advertisements each day?
- How can advertisers use podcasts to spread information about their product? Are podcast advertisements different than normal advertisements on the radio?
- What changes in an advertisement depending on the gender that it is targeted at?
- How do different countries advertise a product? Use examples like the Chevrolet Nova's sales in Mexico to make a point.
- How is it decided which advertisements are too risque to be on the air? What censorship practices are in place in the industry?
- What makes for a good political advertisement? What have been some of the best political advertisements in history?
- How does Internet differ from traditional advertising methods? How do some of the techniques use differ?
- What proportion of the United States economy is devoted to advertising? Does this effect the nation's economy in a positive or a negative way?
- What caused market researching to develop in advertising? How is it used today to decide what types of advertisements to run?
- Are short, inexpensive ads online actually effective? What studies have been done that demonstrate the effectiveness of these advertisements?
- What stereotypes in advertising are still present? How have advertisers tried to change the image of women and families to adjust to more modern standards?
- How does advertising impact the human mind? Is it positive or negative for someone's mental health?
- What companies have been successful through just word-of-mouth marketing? Are there successful businesses today that have never spent money on advertising?